I’m attending a baby shower this weekend and volunteered to make the diaper cake. I’ve only ever made 2 in my life so I am not sure what possessed me to do this (I’m blaming Pinterest) but I actually think this one turned out great! I am super excited to see the reactions from the parents to be.
Although it looks complicated, this cake was very easy to make. The longest part of the process was deciding on what I wanted to include in the decorations!
Here are the steps that I took to make this cake:
1. The base of this cake is a big box of wipes. I simply took a box and wrapped it with one of the blankets from the couple’s registry.
2. Next I started rolling up diapers and securing them with individual rubberbands. This part is time consuming so I advise doing it in front of the TV or soliciting help.
3. Wrap a big refill bag of wipes with a rubberband. Then insert each rolled diaper in the rubberband until you’ve surrounded the wipes. I did two layers like this.
4. Next I rolled 2 of the blankets from the registry and secured them with a rubberband. Then I laid them on top of the wipes as the bassinet “wheels”.
5. Next came the bassinet. First I wrapped the wipes refill bag with another blanket. Then I wrapped a rubberband around it and inserted rolled diapers all around. Then I cut a thin layer of cardboard and curved it to create the bassinet opening. Finally I took another blanket and wrapped it around the entire bassinet and tucked the edges into the rolled diapers. The picture below has the ballet shoes inside the bassinet because I was still deciding what I liked best.
6. Finally I added the ribbon, bows, and other decor. The bear and letter A are secured by the hair bows and I used Scotch tape to adhere the ballet slippers.