For the beginning of 2015, I will have a series about getting fit. Each post will be all about getting fit using one piece of equipment. I realize not everyone can afford a gym membership, not everyone enjoys going to the gym, and not everyone can put in the money that home gyms can cost. I will review several different pieces of equipment and I will show exercises for each piece. Some equipment will be things that can be bought, and some will be things around your home-that cost nothing!
This week we will discuss a piece of equipment that won’t take up any room in your house and also one that is pretty affordable- a Resistance Band!
These bands don’t look like they can do much, but their looks are deceiving! They can definitely help you tone up and will create a “burn” in your muscles!
Here are some exercises you can perform using resistance bands!
1. Lunge With Bicep Curl: Lunge forward with one leg and have the band under your foot. Hold each end of the band in each hand and bend into your lunge, at the same time performing bicep curls. Repeat 8-12 times and then switch feet. You are working both your legs and arms!
2. Squat Overhead Press: Stand with your feet shoulder length apart with the band under both feet. Hold the ends of the band in your hands, palm out. Squat and press your arms over your head at the same time. Repeat 15-20 times. You are once again working both your legs and arms.
3. Side Bends: Stand on the band with both feet, shoulder length apart. Hold the bands with each hand with your arms at your side. Bend side to side, taking your arms along your sides and legs with each bend. Repeat 20 times each side (40 times total). You’ll feel a burn in your obliques.
4. Arm Raise: Stand in a split stance (one foot forward) with the band under the front foot. Hold the ends of the band in each hand and raise them in front of you at shoulder height. Perform tiny little pulses up, never dipping down below the shoulder. Repeat pulses 20 times. You are working your shoulders and they will burn!
5. Bent Over Row: Stand on the band with both feet, shoulder length apart. Hold the ends of the band with each hand and with your elbows bent. Pull the band up toward your hips, squeezing your shoulder blades together until your elbows form a 90-degree angle. Lower and repeat 10-12 times. This move is working your back.
Don’t forget to check out my other post in the series:
You can definitely get fit with this single piece of equipment! Stay tuned next week when we discuss getting fit with kitchen towels !