Earlier this week, I read this very hysterical and very true article called “5 Minutes In a Mom’s Head“. It was SPOT ON. Then on my run today I thought why not take 5 minutes from my “run thinking”…it can be pretty insightful as well for knowing how moms think.
When I run, I try to release my stress, and I normally get rid of some of it. But I also make to do lists, remember things I forgot to do, brainstorm ways to be a better person/wife/mom/runner, daydream of empty calories…you get the idea. So I decided to make my own little list…Keep in mind, I am normally pushing my 3 and 5 year old while I run. And honestly, this is really just ONE minute…not five.
5 Minutes in a Running Mom’s Brain
- Did I give the boys enough snacks to get my miles in?
- Why is the wind always pushing against me? Seriously!
- Did I cut the clothes dryer off before we left? Great, the house will be burned down when we get home.
- Did my son REALLY just tell me to go faster?
- I should have put more Body Glide on….everywhere
- Pushing my kids is HARD…but I feel pretty badass.
- Are the kids getting too much sun?
- My pace tomorrow is going to rock when I am running alone.
- Do my kids not realize how hard it is to answer their questions while I’m running and PUSHING them?!
- omg…must delete that song from running mix, not kid appropriate
- ugh, I forgot to make my appt, it’s been like 2 weeks since I got the reminder!
- I should have brought some more snacks for the kids.
- Could it BE any hotter?
- Yes, buff guy running in the street, I DID just pass you running while pushing my kids…take that!
- Did my son really just throw his bear in the street?! I would totally leave that there if it didn’t mean crying at bedtime.
- What part of “Don’t cross the center line of the stroller and touch your brother” do my kids NOT understand?
- An incline…really?!
- Where are the trees with shade?
- My boys need to learn to ride their bikes-both of them…right now.
- WHAT is that car doing? Can you NOT see me pushing a freaking huge double stroller ?!
- This is not the mommy/son bonding experience it used to be when they were babies.
- Pushing the kids will make me faster, it will make me faster, it will make me faster.
- How can a stroller shade cause such drama?
- When is the last time my husband tried this? I’m sending him out here tomorrow!
- Snacks, they need more snacks.
- HOW is this making me less stressed?
- I will never push them on a run again.
- At least the kids are learning the importance of exercise.
- Why do my boys think running time is also the time to practice your yelling?
- There has got to be a vending machine nearby to get more snacks.
It should be noted that the above picture is from a local run this past weekend called the Wicked 10k. The boys actually did an AMAZING job on the run and fun was had by all….and my husband shared pushing duties with me.
Now…..back to running I go. And of course more thinking.
What are some things you think about while exercising? Does your mind mellow out or race with you?