Each week I bring you a kids craft that is fun, educational, and frugal. Cinco de Mayo is almost here and I couldn’t let this fun holiday pass without doing a craft centered around it!
If you’ve missed any previous crafts, check out Momondealz’s Kids Frugal Fun page.
How To Make a Sombrero
Pom Pom Balls (or other desired decor)
1. Stack 2 sheets of newspaper and lay them on your child’s head or a small bowl.
2. Using masking tape, tape around to create the top of the hat.
3. Roll the edges to create a circle and the brim.
4. Paint your desired color.
5. Punch holes in the brim and use thread to add detail.
6. Add any othe decor desired. We thought pom poms would look festive so we added those.
- History: Using a map or globe, help your child locate Mexico. Discuss it’s relation to where we live (below, south, etc). Creating a flag to represent Mexico is also an easy and fun craft that can help your child learn some more symbols of this country.
- Language Arts: 1. Create a list of words associated with Mexico (sombrero, maraca, Mexico, etc) and have your child identify the number of syllables in each word. 2 Read the book Mexico ABCs: A Book About the People and Places of Mexico (Country Abcs)to help review the alphabet and learn more about Mexico.
I created this craft based on one found on DTKL Kids