Each week I bring you a kids craft that is fun, educational, and frugal. April 19th is National High Five day so this week the crafts are centered around hands! If you’ve missed any previous crafts, check out Momondealz’s Kids Frugal Fun page. If you enjoy my crafts, please be sure to share them on Pinterest!
High Five Jar
Cleaning Wipe Canister
1. Clean and dry the canister.
2. Create a label for the canister. Ours says “Will’s High Five Jar”.
3. Trace your child’s hand and cut out several of them for your “high fives”.
4. Write rewards on each hand. These can be anything from extra TV time, an extra long hug, candy, library book~anything that your child would like to work towards earning.
5. When your child does an unexpected positive behavior, they earn a “high five” reward. The goal of this jar is to reinforce positive behavior as opposed to always concentrating and punishing negative behavior. Will LOVES his so far!
Handprint Spring Flower:
2. Have your child use their fingers to create the steam and leaves of the flower.
- Language Arts:1. Read the book Hands Are Not for Hitting (I LOVE this series of books) and discuss with your child the difference between giving a high five and hitting and how one is ok, and the other is not ok. 2. Have your child practice their writing skills by writing their own “high five” rewards for the jar. 3. Have your child create a list (orally or write themselves) of all the actions your hand performs.
- Science: 1. For the spring flower you can experiment with the color wheel and paint your child’s hands different colors and have them high five themself and create a flower with the new color created. 2. Read the The Hand Bookand complete the experiments with your child to help them learn and better understand all about their hand!
- Math: Create hand print are using your child’s hand and your hands. Use a ruler or tape measure to measure the difference in your hand sizes. 2. Practice non-standard math by measuring things around the house with your hands; i.e. the TV is 8 hands wide.