I got some frugal eats inspiration from Sara at
Pita Pockets: Better than your ordinary sandwich, pack some pita pockets, already sliced in half and ready to be filled. Bring along lunch meats, like turkey, ham, salami, and bologna cut in strips. Add shredded cheese and lettuce so little hands can stuff their own sandwich pockets.
Picnic Wraps: Use roast chicken, turkey or even beef, shredding or cutting it in slices making sure to discard any fat. These are going to be cold sandwiches.
Here is a simple recipe perfect for picnics:
Creamy Ranch Pasta Salad
Whenever easy picnic recipes include, chances are the kids will be happy. This picnic recipe is super fast to put together because you can use frozen thawed, or cooked veggies.
You will need:
- 1lb box of spiral pasta (we use the tri-colored)
- 1 cup deli turkey cut into strips
- 4 cups mixed veggies (we use the frozen spanish blend, broccoli, red peppers, onions) about 2 bags
- 2 cups of your favorite ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Chill well before serving.